Friday, August 22, 2008

September Button Up Quilt

This past Wed. I took a quilting class for the monthly Button Up Quilt. The day before the class, I picked up the pattern as you needed to make this background quilt first. With the experience I had learned from my great quilting teacher, Annette, I was able to make this background quilt all by myself. They had suggested you make it from dark or black rectangles but I chose to make it from golds as it was going to hang in my sewing room and then each month the quilt you button to it would look like it was in a gold frame. I love how it turned out and so did Crystal (owner of & teacher at the quilt shop). I also centered the two outside buttons in their rectangles rather than put them five inches from the center button. It looks so much better this way.

Here is my finished September Button Up Quilt. I only got as far as the stems put on the night of the class. But Thurs. I went back to the quilt store and finished putting on the sunflowers. I had never done anything like this so wanted the guidance from Crystal. She was delighted to have me for company that day. Told her I will probably have to do this each month depending on how hard the quilts are. I then came home about 3:30 and started quilting the quilt. I had to stitch around every piece of the flowers and then do some more in the big open spaces. I finished quilting it today. I then bound the quilt and put ribbons on the back to hang it up with. I really like how it looks on my background quilt. I can hardly wait for next month's. Crystal was working on the example while I was there yesterday and it is adorable.
Next week I take a table runner class and can hardly wait. I'm really enjoying not only my sewing room but quilting again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so talented. What a fun project.

Teenkurbelle said...

Aww, you put 3 flowers on it so everyone remebers the 3rd is my birthday.. haha! I actually may start sewing again soon, I've come to learn Nathan's mom is quite the seamstress :) (Oh and Nathan has put in for Sept. 8-10th off, would that work?)

Rick and Eileen said...

Of course the 3 flowers are for your birthday (never mind that was the pattern)! And yes the 8-10th will be just fine. We are looking forward to it.